More recommended music for you, a huge variety again today.
- Sergei Prokofiev, Symphony no. 1 in D, ‘Classical’, op. 25 // I heard an incredible performance of this by the LSO under Gergiev a couple of years ago, fantastic piece.
- Modest Mussorgsky, Pictures from an Exhibition // The orchestral version is very well-known (and I’m going to be conducting it in a workshop next Saturday), but of course the piano work came first.
- John Blow, Venus and Adonis // It’s debateable where this lies on the spectrum between a masque and a full opera, but there’s no doubt that it was an important work in the period when English music and theatre were changing under the influence of operas from France and Italy. This was staged in Oxford a couple of years ago, very interesting listening. There do seem to be some recordings floating about the internet in various places.
- Hank Mobley, Soul Station
- Foo Fighters, Monkey Wrench // Great song, popped up on my iPod the other day when I was running.