I think the music in today’s post is probably less well-known that the past couple of days, although it’s still all excellent, so do have a listen.
- Sir Arthur Bliss,Checkmate. Bliss’ music isn’t very widely known, despite him being knighted and appointed Master of the Queen’s music, maybe because younger composers like Britten stole the public’s attention, but this is a great piece.
- Claude Debussy, Première rhapsodie (for clarinet and piano). Composed for the Paris Conservatoire’s clarinet exams.
- Franz Schubert, Gretchen am Spinnrade (Gretchen at the Spinning-Wheel) D. 118
- Artie Shaw & His Orchestra, Begin the Beguine
- Radiohead, Street Spirit (Fade Out)