This is a rather late music of the day post, but I’m posting it today anyway. Part of the reason for these recommendations is simply to get into the habit of regular writing and publishing regularly, and I don’t want to skip a day. There’s actually some amazing music in today’s selection as well!
- Sir Colin Davis. This is a change of tack, but as I heard about the sad death of Sir Colin Davis last night I thought I’d focus on him rather than any single composer. Check out his recordings of Boulez, Berlioz, Sibelius, Nielsen, Mozart, Tippett, Elgar, and Britten. The LSO also has a page available to post messages of condolence, which along with the obituaries makes for a very interesting read, he had an amazing career.
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A, Op. 101. I wrote a very long analysis essay on this piece in second year, great sonata.
- Claudio Monteverdi, Vespro della Beata Vergine 1610 (the 1610 Vespers). This is an amazing collection of pieces.
- Michael Brecker Quindectet, Broadband.
- The Beatles, Eleanor Rigby. For no other reason than that I saw it on my iTunes and remembered what a great track it is.